Monday 11 April 2011

Brrrng Brrrng.. COMING THROUGH

Oh Korea, how much nicer you are when it's warm and sunny! The cherry blossoms are starting their annual sweep across the country and Buddha's lotus lanterns are hanging from rooftop to rooftop. For the first time in almost five months, Korea is feeling colourful again. Hurrah! I feel the need to celebrate. Give me fresh air! Give me exercise! Give me....A BIKE!


Well that's easy. There are tons and tons of bicycle repair shops and second hand sellers in Korea, and you can buy anything from dirt-cheap rusty Lespo bikes to slightly-less-cheap-but-still-cheap shiny newer models. We left with a snazzy blue fold-up bike, a shiny red model.....and I went for the rusty Lespo. And for 40,000 won (20 quid) I think I win. So once we had test rided our new purchases, and spruced up some old wheels, we were off....five foreigners in bicycle convoy through Korea.

Seeing foreign faces in our area of Gyeongi-do is still quite a surprise, so seeing five foreign faces zipping by in bicycle convoy got some reactions. Like the little boy shouting 'WAYGOOKIN!' ('foreigner') at the top of his voice. Or the Korean man shriekng 'HA HA HE HE HO HO'...or even better, the rice cake seller who flagged me down to give me a handfull of ricecake for free. (Which I, er, somehow ate before catching up with everyone else...oops).

It's also pretty terrifying. Motorbikes driving on pavements, cars going anywhere, and pedestrians being somehow oblivious to my constant bike belling......you're constantly trying to avoid being mowed down or from mowing someone else down. It doesn't help that Korea is so overpopulated. We cycled to Incheon Grand Park and it was one of the busiest parks I've ever been in.Must...not....hit...anyone. But besides the craziness, the park was very pretty and it was amazing to feel the 'ole wind in your hair and the sun on your skin (and the burn in your thigh....some of those hills are bloomin tough).

So yes, I've officially given up walking, busing, training..or any form of transport except cycling. So where can one cycle without constant fear of death in Korea? Well, I hunted down the Seoul Bicycle Tour Map, which shows cycle paths in and around the Seoul area.....

slowalk.tistory.com/attachment/cfile2.uf@202A04234C8DEC73579B55.pdf
It also seems that our beloved little Siheung has some good cycle routes - such as the 7.5km Greenway in Siheung, which runs from Siheung Gategol Ecological Park through Lotus Flower Theme Park to Mulwang reservoir, which is apparently best done in April. Well, oooo la la what a coincidence! There are also trails to Wolgot Port, Okgu Park and Oido Island. So that's it, all I need now is some lycra shorts and a streamlined helmet and I'll be off. Well, maybe not. But some picnics and beer could be aranged.

Watch out England, I might just bike it back :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment