Monday 27 June 2011

Zero to Hot in 5 Seconds

It takes a brave person to drive in Seoul. And it turns out, I am that brave. Sort of. Well, not really. Last weekend we donned helmets, took the wheel and raced the track at Kart Racing go-karts in Seoul.

It was a particularly hot and hungover Saturday. Seriously hot. And seriously hungover. So I was beginning to wonder why I'd agreed to go go-karting, when instead I could be in my fully-aircon apartment sipping cold coke, with an ice-cream on the side and my head in the freezer. Maybe my over-heated self was starting to get delirious.

One thing was certain though - in the heat and the hang, I was starting to get really scared about driving. I don't drive at home, but that's not stopped me driving scooters all over India, Asia and Europe....so why should I care about a go-kart in Korea? God knows. All I know is that there were free Krispy Kreme donuts and I couldn't eat one of them. I must be feeling rough.

Two hours of waiting later, I was starting to wonder how I'd ever get through it without being seriously sick. In a helmet. Eurgh. So when our names were finally called, and we were able to burst forth through the start line, I found myself going as fast as I could possibly manage without sending myself over the edge - which turned out to be a little less than walking speed. After the first lap, and having been lapped by everyone esle at least twice, I went past the karting technicians who were all frantically waving at me. 'I don't know what you're saving!' I attempted shouting inside the helmet. But I knew what they were saying. It didn't matter. I wasn't going to speed up for them, I was feeling ropey enough as it was.

This is the first time I've ever felt simultaneously bored and terrified. By the time we finished, I was so unbelievably happy that it was over I almost managed to convince myself that I'd enjoyed it. Or....Did I? It did help that the owners greeted us off the track with free cold beers. That's more like it. And seeing as the track is conveniently situated on the bank of Seoul's Han River, we decided to get a few drinks and enjoy the view.


 Actually, the view wasn't enough for everyone. The water was just too tempting. One of our friends stripped off and went for a good old swim in the huge city river. The Korean's were delighted to watch and waved from the sidelines.


But is it clean? Well, I hope so. Not just for my friend, but for the 700 elementary school students who are required to swim the river every year. Either way, it's a nice change from England where last time I saw someone go for a dip, everyone shouted 'speedo' at him until he was out of hearing. Yes, it felt good to be in Korea today.

Going for the Go-Karting?

If you like Go-Karts, you're not hungover, and you don't go midday in mid-June.....you would probably really enjoy the go-karting. So here's a little info:

Place:      Kart Racing (Korean only website). 
Where:    A 10 minute walk from Jamsil Sports Complex subway station exit 5/6. 
Cost:       15,000 won per 15 min session. Or you can take Pro Karts (super speedy ones) for 35,000 won per session.

No comments:

Post a Comment